Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

650B vs 29er
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 650B vs 29er

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 10 months ago #42643

Garick wrote:
boogenman wrote:
http://http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/f/4x/ip/4xipcqv23xkx/large_Eurobike_2012_Maxxis_-_4808.jpg?0

I think the image links are broken?

Maxxis 27.5 High Roller 2

Yessssssssssss!!!!!!!
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 10 months ago #42702

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 6 months ago #43495

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #43791

The new IBIS Ripley is a pretty fancy bike.

www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripley_29/

It would be nice to see a 650b from them.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 3 months ago #43890

m.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/giant-mountain-and-cyclocross-prototypes-spotted-37015/

Looks like Giant isn't go to be behind the trend this time like they were with 29ers. If they're making carbon prototypes, they're writing off the 26 wheel for the most part.
lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

650B vs 29er 1 year, 3 months ago #43892

I saw that! I consider this "official" now lol
  • TJ_Zydel
  • Director of Marketing and Promotions
ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 3 months ago #43908

Oh snap ! Time to drink the kook aid.....LOL just kidding. But still interesting.

www.pinkbike.com/news/Aaron-Gwin-and-Jill-Kintner-Win-Downhill-Race-Sea-Otter-2013.html

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 2 months ago #43985

Koolaid fer sure! Wheel size means nada, kids. Just ride and have fun!
  • TGS
Ride fast and look good

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 2 months ago #44035

things are pretty dead around here. We need more wheel size talk. The Specialized Enduro 29 has slipped by me. Pretty ground breaking for 29ers I think. They've got the chainstays down to 16.9" which is near unheard of in FS 29ers, not to mention ones with 155mm of travel.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Look-Specialized-S---Works-Enduro-29-S-E.html

I was wrong about this bike. It was nothing like I feared it would be and, no matter how much I look at the numbers, I still don't really understand how Specialized have managed it. This bike, without question, pushes the boundaries of what is possible with a 29-inch wheeled bike. It also throws light back onto the question of whether or not we need 650B bikes when 29ers can handle like this. This bike blew away any preconceptions of what I thought a 29er could or should be, and for that reason alone I love it. Would I trade my 26-inch Enduro for the newer, bigger-wheeled version? Probably not, as personally I still prefer the immediacy of the smaller wheels, but it's a far closer call than I would have ever imagined it could be. -Matt Wragg

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/first-impression-specialized-enduro-comp-29

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 2 months ago #44037

Ah the short chainstay debate

Short chain stays mean nothing other than the fact if you like to pop a wheelie easy or not. It’s more hype than anything for the manufactures to sell the latest and greatest.

What makes for a great handing bike frame is a function of (3) length’s,

1-Front and center
2- Wheel base length
3- Chainstay length.

Obviously you want each to be at a minimum for tight single track but you need them to work together, which can be a struggle for big wheeled frames

For example, a short chainstay length with a very long front and center distance would cause the rider not to be balanced over the bike for optimized handling. This would be typical for an extra-large frame.

OK, now, how about the press fit BB 30 debate about presumed stiffness?

Remember, JM2C
I’m sure some will disagree

Mojo
What are the advantages of riding a mountain bike anyway?
Staying at home, lying on the couch is much more comfortable

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 2 months ago #44038

I thought the press fit BB is more about saving some weight not as much extra stiffness?

My trials bike experiences some heavy torque loads with a press fit BB and I have no complaints about it feeling flexy of loosening up on me.

Short chain stays are very important on a enduro or gravity oriented bike. Generally speaking people who ride enduro and gravity stuff want to be able to manual through short sections of the trail, short stays make that a breeze.

As each day passes it seems more clear that my next bike is going to have 650 wheels and about 4"-5" of squish.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 2 months ago #44039

A larger BB shell isn’t going to make your BB area any stiffer, nor is it seeing any torque loading, unless your bearings are shot. All it has to offer is more area for bike manufacturer’s to use larger down tubes, this is where the bike becomes stiffer, also of course if you use Sram’s BB30 crank set which uses a larger diameter spindle. But then again Shimano disagrees with the whole larger spindle thing. The Young’s Modulus of Aluminum (Sram’s spindle material) isn’t as strong as Chromalloy steel (Shimano’s spindle material)that is why Shimano still uses the small a diameter spindle.

Stiffness is a function of cross sectional area, that is why packaging Engineers corrugate cardboard, this produces more area for greater stiffness, remember… increased cross section equals increased stiffness.
The crank forces produced on a BB shell from pedaling are not torque forces but internal forces pushing out, similar to bending, but not, so, therefore the larger area or diameter of a BB won’t help increase stiffness.

As for a short CS, I’m referring to a good handling XC bike.

I had a thought while doing a couple of laps at the brook on my 29'r the other day. A 650 would be the hot ticket for less rooty and more flowy single track, but with our roots rocks and ridges, I'm sticking with the clown wheels.

A may have missed something in my opinion, but then again, I didn't stay at a Holiday in yesterday.

Now, back to my lunch, LOL

Mojo
What are the advantages of riding a mountain bike anyway?
Staying at home, lying on the couch is much more comfortable
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by Mojo Man.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.