• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

650B vs 29er
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 650B vs 29er

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42270

120mm 29er forks have been around for a while now, my Fox F29 is a 2009 model and 120mm.

While I do love my double squish 29er, I do miss the sharp and quick handling of smaller wheels. I'm very seriously thinking about converting my Sultan into a 650B over the winter.
2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42272

I find my Jet9 handles just as quick as my 26er top fuel. The niner race bikes have steep head tube angles and this contributes to very quick handling. If you look at the visual comparison I posted a while back you see the geometry is just about the exact same (I've since lowered the handlebars to make it even more the same).

Get a nine race-geometry bike and it will handle as quick as you want it.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42273

Jon,
I think Garrick mentioned the head angle difference because there are not many 29'ers out there with slack head angles which is more stable and not as quick. Steep/quick head angles are good for steep climbs and super tight slow trails but they ar enot as much fun on faster stuff.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42276

Nino Schurter just won silver with his Scott 650b. Was leading for awhile came down to last 3-4 turns. Great race.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42277

I just don't understand why 29ers have never really evolved (or that very few companies have released anything) from the original way of thinking that they needed steeper head angles even with all of the development on longer travel/'all mountain' bikes. Then 650b comes along and immediately has the same head angle as the 26er. Maybe 650b does have some merit because the chainstays do get really long on a lot of full suspension 29ers.

There are some big companies starting to try things out though like kona, diamondback and now Trek with the stache. Obviously a long travel hardtail is a niche market but its nice to have choices and see some departure from the norm.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MVWbibqTs

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42280

Here is what Trek has to say on 650b. They also threw in a couple pictures of a place a little better than Sprauge Brook

www.pinkbike.com/news/Trek-fuel-ex-rumblefish-stache-2013.html

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42282

boogenman wrote:
They also threw in a couple pictures of a place a little better than Sprauge Brook

"While we used lifts to access the area's high mountain trails, there was still plenty of climbing to be had - much of it steep and taken at redline."

I doubt that the majority of Sprauge Brook riders would agree with your opinion. Like the ones I see pushing their bikes up "the hump" or out of "the ditch".......
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42284

I'm an SB rider and I agree with Boogemans opinion. And I often walk up the hump too
2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42286

Sometimes I ride straight past the hump, sometimes I ride clockwise so I go down the hump and sometimes I had a few to many pale ales the day before and I walk the hump.

Ever since Slidersguy and Scotto fixed the ditch this spring it is easy to ride.

I'm learning italian and moving to Cortina!

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42289

I want to go there too!

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42291

do the hump on full rigid SS.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 8 months ago #42298

Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by boogenman.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds

Vote For the HV Flow Trail!

Bell Built Voting Starts in... 14 Days

Voting Starts: 05.05.2014 00:00 See What's it About

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.