• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2013 WNYMBA Racing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2013 WNYMBA Racing

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43147

The three skill classes and age groups within the classes is exactly what NORBA had going in the 90's and early 2000's which worked very well. I see no reason at all to become sanctioned at this point and it would probably turn away noobs along with seasoned riders looking to do one or two races a season.

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43152

I was one of the 63 finishers in the Cat 4 catagory at Sundays cross race. It was the largest turnout I've seen in the three races I've attended. It is a pain paying a extra $10 per race for a one day license, but it is the only way one can compete in races. The season license is $60 I believe and since I was planning on only doing local races (5) I couldn't see paying for the year pass. The disadvantage I guess is you can only race Cat 4 with a one day and you do not accumulate points towards upgrading your license class. Since I am a cross newbie, I figured that is the only class i would compete in anyway. If you look at the results I finished 55th so I am hardly competitive. Cat 4 doesn't have much for prizes, so bagging isn't really worth it- I wouldn't know- I would have to have a 2hour head start just to have a chance at podium. The class is pretty wide open on ability levels, with most racers being pretty experienced.
I can see my level of fitness and expertise is not even close to being competitive.
I only race for the fun of it and because it is spectator friendly for my family.
The license and points and upgrading I guess is important for the experts- I'll never be there so It doesn't really matter to me. The rules are pretty specific for course setup and racing so I guess that keeps things kinda equal between venues.

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43153

twright wrote:
There is some talk about holding a race down here (Harris Hill) next Fall... would like to get some input from new riders.

I have only ridden there once and that was last year. There has been a lot of work done since and more planned. I'm thinking this place will be an excellent venue, drawing some new and different people.

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43154

penguin wrote:
It is a pain paying a extra $10 per race for a one day license, but it is the only way one can compete in races. The season license is $60 I believe and since I was planning on only doing local races (5) I couldn't see paying for the year pass. The disadvantage I guess is you can only race Cat 4 with a one day and you do not accumulate points towards upgrading your license class. Since I am a cross newbie, I figured that is the only class i would compete in anyway. If you look at the results I finished 55th so I am hardly competitive. Cat 4 doesn't have much for prizes, so bagging isn't really worth it- I wouldn't know- I would have to have a 2hour head start just to have a chance at podium. The class is pretty wide open on ability levels, with most racers being pretty experienced.
I can see my level of fitness and expertise is not even close to being competitive.

This is a great example to why scotto does not want the races the sanctioned.

The same thing happened when most of the downhill races were NORBA and USAC sanctioned. Expert level guys would come out for one race and be forced to race sport or beginner and they would clean house on race day. Not to mention Sport and beginner racers ride a much easier track than expert and pro at downhill races.

Keep the local races open for all until it each event is big enough need USAC, probably 200+ riders IMO.

2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43159

Erik Nowakowski
A few things about Scott's article on the front page:
1. Very well written and I agreed with all points...great job!
2. This applies to CX racing as well. I participated in the race at Delaware park and have competed in several over the years. I had more incidents in one lap there then I did all the other races I have participated in combined. I think the spike in incidents really came from the riders and not the course set up. This is what I think led to it:
1. I am not fast...yep I said it and if you are unsure look at the results from the race. I am however very technically savvy as my experience comes from MTB, road, CX, and commuting.
2. The race has become extremely popular and the number of entrants has expanded each year.
3. There are places/locations to pass and there are other locations where you need to either pass before or after...but not during. Whether CX or MTB if you are trying to pass during a highly technical section or tight area which has open areas to pass before and after shame on you. As Scott stated he has in the past conversed with the other racer to figure out a way to make that happen. If you try to overtake another rider in one of these areas you may take them out, yourself, or both.
4. Look ahead! On the first lap just leading up to a turn up hill in a muddy area two riders past me (I think racing each other) with out any call out. I had begun to slow down as one rider was picking themselves up, and another rider had practically ran into him. The other two riders came in sooo hot that they fell and knocked into each other. So all 4 wound up in a pile and I rode on by.
5. You may be "road" fast, but not technically fast. Know your limit, call out to me that you are coming up, and because I am just racing to race, I will let you by...trust me. However, if you do not announce yourself expect I am going to take the best line at all times until you alert me to your presence.

Lastly, I am not talking about the fast racers in the cat 4 race. All of them had plenty of experience and etiquette. I am talking about the road transplants that are already faster then me. Show up to a practice sponsored by Campus or John Roden and learn the basics. I learn something every time I go or talk to those guys.
29'rs Rule !!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Scotto.

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43198

Slower Than, I'm sorry but I can not answer your question that would require me to go off topic from Scotto's original post. If you would like to start a new thread on a new topic please do so.
No Goal, Wide Right, I'll just go ride my bike

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43199

Bo, the "off topic" thing is getting a little out of hand on this forum. I don't see how discussing past events and applying lessons learned about trail damage to 2013 events is off topic. If they don't like it they can move it to a new thread.
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43202

slower_than_u wrote:
Bo, the "off topic" thing is getting a little out of hand on this forum. I don't see how discussing past events and applying lessons learned about trail damage to 2013 events is off topic. If they don't like it they can move it to a new thread.

Slower is right, this type of discussion can be productive, the off topic thing is negative and counter-productive. Lets move on.
Again it's up to the moderators to decide if posts should be moderated, let them moderate. Believe me, we don't have to moderate very often, but when we do it is for the better interest of the club. Please respect that.

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43208

Lets get back to some positive discussions.
Big plans for 2013 all starting with the Winter Fest Race at Chestnut Ridge in January. The write up has been posted with registration opening January 1st. Check it out HERE
Here are some other preliminary details.
If you have not heard, the Wednesday Night Series will be a ten race series with five races being at the brook and five at Holiday Valley.
The Single Track Stampede being in its fourth year will again be part of the WNYMBA Mountain Bike Festival at the end of August.
Another rumor confirmed, Roots Rocks & Ridges will be on again in September.
It's looking pretty good for a race down at Harris Hill, sometime late September.
And last but not least, Cranktoberfest may make a comeback at the brook in October.
2013 is shaping up to be a great year, stay tuned for further details.

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43210

Scotto wrote:

If you have not heard, the Wednesday Night Series will be a ten race series with five races being at the brook and five at Holiday Valley.

This is awesome. Cant wait to here more of the details, and see dates.

Does this eliminate spring and fall series/twilight series?

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43212

2013 is shaping up to be a good year. I am hoping to get a race or two under my belt next year. It has been almost 20 years since I did my last XC race

Re: 2013 WNYMBA Racing 1 year, 10 months ago #43242

Scotto wrote:
...If you have not heard, the Wednesday Night Series will be a ten race series with five races being at the brook and five at Holiday Valley...Another rumor confirmed, Roots Rocks & Ridges will be on again in September...

Wow! Just wow. Scotto you(and Slower than and I'm sure Greg) are amazing!
Wish I could be more help. Keep up the outstanding work!

Gettin RRR back is just too awesome to explain, and combining the race series (with a few tweaks to the HV course I bet) is just...well you get it.
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.