• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Looking for someone to ride with
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for someone to ride with

Looking for someone to ride with 2 months ago #44785

I'll be passing through the area next weekend and was planning on riding Ellicottville on Saturday (weather and trail conditions permitting). I'm hoping to find a riding partner if I can. I'd say I have good endurance and ride at a moderate but steady speed.

My tenative plan is to stop by the Ellicotville bike shop to get a map and ride something like what's listed here:

www.mtbproject.com/trail/565265

Although I certainly wouldn't be opposed to something shorter as well. Thinking of camping out of my car Saturday and possibly Friday (anyone have any good places to recommend?). Anyway, if anyone is thinking they might be interested, please let me know!

(just realized this should really be in "Group Rides & Get-Togethers"; sorry about that)

thanks,
Brian
Last Edit: 2 months ago by mccarthy.

Re: Looking for someone to ride with 2 months ago #44786

I won't be around on Saturday. And probably a lot of people may be at the race in Sprague Brook that day, too.

As far as the epic loop goes, Holimont is doing construction at the start/finish, so that is not really a good place to start any more. I would recommend starting at Eagle Trail off 219. It's only real steep at the start of the singletrack; it eases off quite a bit as you go up.

If you have the MTB project smartphone app, you can always use that to keep track of where you are in case you don't have anybody to join you. Once you go up Eagle (and do Mesa on the way), you can go either left or right at the top on Sidewinder. I would recommend going left towards Dead Dog loop. After that, it is just how much you want to keep riding.

You might want to do something like this: wnymba.org/index.php?option=com_joomgpstracks&view=tracks&layout=track&id=20&Itemid=47 except for the following:

• that ride starts in town. Don't need to do that; start at the Eagle Trailhead
  • That route doesn't include Mesa. Definitely do Mesa on the way up and/or on the way down
  • Don't head down Holimont. Take McCarty Road East back to Eagle for a great downhill end to your ride. There is also a trail on the north side of McCarty Hill East if you don't want to do the road there.

The map we sell has all the officially sanctioned by DEC places to camp. You can pick up a copy at Bike and Bean in town before you ride. I could tell you the best places, but those usually are taken first.

Should be good riding. Have fun!
Last Edit: 2 months ago by Jon Sundquist.

Re: Looking for someone to ride with 2 months ago #44787

Jon - I really appreciate the help! Are most of the trails and roads labeled? I don't have a smart phone but will definitely get the map at Bike and Bean.

Re: Looking for someone to ride with 2 months ago #44788

They are well signed as of last year thanks to Jim Allen. Those signs are awesome. We needed them for a long time and now we have them.

Have a good ride.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.