• Facebook: wnymba
  • Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Where to build jumps/drops/berms....
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Where to build jumps/drops/berms....

Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44170

Ideas?....Anyone?
It would be nice to have a place for this type of riding not too far outside the buffalo area,built with both beginners and advanced in mind.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44171

Rob:

When we met a few years ago, you were looking at possibilities near the downhill ski trails at Emery. Any further thoughts on that as a possibility?

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44172

Obby, Join the club if you haven't already and we can attend a meeting together to get some ideas. I would really like to see some jumps and drops integrated into the existing trails at places like Sprauge Brook. I don;t have time to ride dedicated freeride trails but it would be nice to have some more fun built into what we already ride.

I joined a few months ago and I have had the itch to light some fires.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44173

Emery Park would work. It's very accessible from a building/riding standpoint.Would approval be a tough issue there?

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44174

Another place of interest would be Boston Forrest County Park(off 219), I hiked it thoroughly last week,plenty of potential lines there as well. Emery's proximity to Hunters Creek might make it a better location though.
Boogenman,good point. Integrating features into existing trails would be awesome, and seems to be the norm outside of WNY. I really like a dedicated trail though, because you can link more features,and make it flow a little more.
Jon,let me know anything I can do to help get the ball rolling on this. I'm willing to spend a ton of time to have someplace to ride.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44175

The problem with Boston Forest is that it is very wet. True, there are some parts that have some reasonable drainage, but overall, it is either flat or for the hillsides, has seeps coming out all over the place. There are some existing trails there that are extremely muddy. I am afraid that if we built some gracity trails there, then people would naturally be inclined to try out all the others and then we'd have muddy messes that could hurt us elsewhere.

In the short term, I am really busy on working on a couple of WNYMBA projects that need to be taken of soon, namely the white trail reroute in Ellicottville and the a grant proposal for funds for trail building in Allegany. So I can't help right now. However, perhaps Ben C. or Greg C. can help pursuing the Emery option as they have been the ones interfacing with Erie County mostly these days.

I'd always be available however to help out on maps for a proposal since I really like doing mapping stuff.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by Jon Sundquist.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44178

Thanks Jon,That would be great.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44179

I am good friends with one of the Erie County Park guys which could be a help with getting permission at Emery. Let me know.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44180

rgunn26 wrote:
Integrating features into existing trails would be awesome, and seems to be the norm outside of WNY.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44183

Boogenman,can you start talks with your friend at Erie County? I would definitely appreciate support from WNYMBA( Ben C. or Greg C.?)dealing with Erie County as well,as I don't know where to start approaching the county with this.
The Idea is to have a "Progressive Skills" trail that features berms,bridged drops and rollabe jumps of varying sizes.
Again, absolutely all features would be rollable and beginner friendly. I'll try to post some examples of features built in a similar style.

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44184

Here's a couple of examples..
BridgedDrop.jpg

Bridgedjump.jpg

Re: Where to build jumps/drops/berms.... 1 year, 5 months ago #44189

looks like fun!
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.