• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Saving the trails at Sprague
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Saving the trails at Sprague

Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44093

So I did ride yesterday but only certain parts I knew would be safe. I also looked at areas in need of repair. Ethics or not, not all WNY mountain bikers are members or on this forum. Campers and weekend warriors go out no matter what. They have no idea what trail sustainability is. My shop was busy with riders yesterday. Most were non members. The ones who were stayed on the safe stuff. Skunk, Creekside, Foote and the Snowmobile climb were in good shape cause the club builds good trails. The biggest hazzard was the silt left behind by fast running water. It's greasy and like ice when hit at an angle. Every trail that is dug down to the hard pack was solid, the water ran right off. The roots were slick but they kind of armor the trail in spots. So in closing, yes you should not ride if you are not willing to be safe, stay on the trail and avoid the nagging mud areas.
Sliders Guy
Colden, NY

Chains and shifters are history.

Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44108

As a bike shop owner, I would think it should be part of your routine to educate people that "didn't know any better".

Its raining and muddy, No riding the brook.
  • adam

Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44109

Is it Verizon's responsibility to educate new cell phone users on safe driving techniques. Or Big box stores responsibility to educate customers on how to safely ride that 149.99 mountain bike?

I think stores have enough to worry about without the possibility of offending customers on what could have been a slow day. Yeah shops can try, but they really can't get too preachy. People are going to do what they are going to do. Is it the shops responsibility to educate on warring helmets on trails (and open up that can of worms)?
lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44110

I would assume these posts will be getting moderated soon enough (and understandably so) on this thread. Could these posts be moved onto a new more appropriate thread?
lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44111

moved.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be a bike shop owner's responsibility (although the verizon analogy doesn't make much sense. There's a lot more you do with a phone than talk on it and drive. MTB bikes really are only for riding on trails. Oh, and btw, verizon does educate its users about safe driving habits: aboutus.verizonwireless.com/commitment/safety_security/ )

I believe it is most definitely is WNYMBA's responsibility to educate riders not to ride when it is going to damage trails, unless we are talking about trails that get essentially no use.

But then again, that's my opinion, and opinions here on the forum don't necessarily represent WNYMBA.

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44112

Jon Sundquist wrote:
unless we are talking about trails that get essentially no use

I'm curious to know which trails in the local system qualify for this.
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by kb voodoo.

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44113

I am thinking way out of the way stuff like in Allegheny National Forest in PA. There are trails down there that get just about no use and no harm would come to them if ridden while wet.

Or even some of the logging skid trails in the state forests, such as the ones that the Roots, Rocks, and Ridges race used to be rerouted onto when there was a lot of rain before or during the race back when WNYMBA used to run this.

The other alternative is looking for trails on sandy ground.

Last weekend, some people rode Dryer park in Victor. That park is built on soil that is primarily sand and so it doesn't get muddy. We don't have any parks like that in Erie or Cattaraugus Co.

Ontario, north of Burlington has a lot of sandy soil that is ridable in any conditions. I remember going up for the IMBA epic at Mansfield before it was closed to the public. Raining the whole way, but by the time I got to Mansfield, there weren't even any puddles anywhere and the trails were dry as a bone.

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44114

Roger that.

I just wanted to make sure GH wasn't being lumped into that category. I know it's not the most popular spot to ride, but it gets more traffic than most people think.
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44115

I hate cleaning a muddy bike

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44116

I wrote Bike shop owner, which is not really what i should have written.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be a bike shop owner's responsibility

I should have said WNYMBA officer.

Greg is our VP. now ? correct?
  • adam

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44117

The original point seems to be that there are a lot of people who use the trails at Sprague Brook who have no contact with WNYMBA. They are going to use the trails no matter what is said on this forum.

Yes, WNYMBA builds and maintains the trails, but they are on county land and WNYMBA does not police the trails. They could have a more official trails open/closed policy that would include signs at the park. This happens in other areas, particularly in heavily ridden areas.

Individuals have different opinions about when a trail is ready to ride, so having an official policy can take some of the guess work out of it, but how realistic is that?
  • Lucas

Re: Saving the trails at Sprague 1 year, 5 months ago #44118

It might also be that the club sends mixed signals by promoting races rain or shine, but then discouraging the average user.

With all the rain over the last few days, are the trails really ready to ride for a race tonight?
  • Lucas
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.