• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 2 months ago #38316

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 2 months ago #38317

dang,, I wish I could find the fast forward button. I am psyched.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42135

Any updates on this project? I checked the NAMBA site...nothing new or recent.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42136

The entire leadership of the ANF turns over about every 2-3 years. There was a turnover in both the district ranger who was driving the project and the head honcho for the forest just recently and currently the NEPA study for the project is on the verge of being cancelled, at least as far as I can tell because everything is highly political and secret. If you contact the ANF all they will tell you is that it is "on hold". If you ask anyone who has attended the secret meetings they pretty much have no idea what the federal gov't is up to. This weekend just go up to the nearst NY State Forest, bend over, and kiss that ground. You have no idea how lucky you are.
Here's the latest public news where all of the 'stakeholders' (meh) meet once again with the federal employees for about the 4,234th time:
www.timesobserver.com/page/content.detail/id/558221/PKP-tells-ANF-about-bikes-plan.html
I cannot explain why NAMBA has no communication or information on this subject, its just plain baffling, but not that surprising for the area. The Feds want to control all public info regarding the project. "We will annouce (whatever)" so do not mention it please. Then they never release anything.

This is the NEPA page for the project, which the Feds call "SAREP", its out of date and you can see the next milestone was back in April.
www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=32831&exp=detail

I'd venture a guess that if the proposal does produce trail, we are probably 2 years into a 10-15 year project and by then the area will be a gridwork of stripper wells.

I personally disagree with the approach and think we should be building trail by hand via volunteers one small bite at a time, which would be on a scale that would not require a NEPA study, not be a 'historical awareness project' (whatever the hell that has to do with mountain biking), so take my comments with a grain of salt, my view is not approved by IMBA, NAMBA, WNYMBA, PKP, FAW, CIA, FBI, USFS, JRA, or any other organization.
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by fat guy.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42137

I will try to get one of the NAMBA guys who was at the meeting to give some info...

as it was summed up.... it's a waiting game right now.. and NAMBA has no ability to move things along.. I guess much like other developments around here have ebbed and flowed.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42139

This project really needs to go through. Has the city of Warren or County got behind the project from an economic development standpoint? I'm sure this was brought up.

I was at the trail project day last fall.

Yes I would help "hand build" and so would others.

This project would be equal to or greater than Raystown Lake. The only thing they would have on this is maybe a week or 2 or better weather in the spring and fall.
No Goal, Wide Right, I'll just go ride my bike

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42143

I think if NAMBA/PKP/IMBA had a concrete plan on where they were going to come up with their $2 million required to build it there would be more support. There are a couple of other pie in the sky projects in the area that have left people with common sense shaking their heads (a proposed muli-million dollar Musarium, a mismanaged downtown project that $500k can't be accounted for, etc) that I don't really see any non-mtbing support becoming a reality. The average Joe just rolls their eyes as another extravagant pipe dream comes floating along. Maybe once they get the 4 lane built off I-86 that will dead end in Warren (another crazy proposal).
The Musarium was slated to bring 200,000 people a year into the area! Good grief. I think the Leadership Warren classes focus mostly on bullsheot.
www.alleghenyalmanac.com/2008/05/not-just-anothe.html
This might have been a reality if they could have used the water from the ill-fated Marky shale treatment plant to feed thru it, past the carp in the Musarium, and THEN into the river.
You don't even want to know about the riverboat landing project.

An alternative approach would be to follow the successful template that lead to all the trails in E-ville. Nah, that's silly.
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by fat guy.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42145

IMO unfortunately FG has little inside info since he has excused himself from the meetings and discussion... (totally within his right),, the 2 million price tag is only if we went with the contractors that proposed the design.. there is no current contract to build, and at our last NAMBA meeting things were discussed what we (NAMBA) will agree to and what we won't. so at least in my mind that $2mill figure is old news... I'm still hopeful that the NEPA study will get done, and then we go from there...

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42146

It will be interesting to see the the $70k IMBA flow based design the donors already paid for be built by hand, but I am ready to dig.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42147

Thanks for the update. It's too bad, It looked like it would make a great destination.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 12 months ago #42149

pmac and anyone else.. it's not dead yet,,, if that NEPA gets completed with no hangups... then the next steps will fall into place.. but without the ANF folks doing the NEPA,,, we can't collect $$, grant write, beg or borrow,, unless we know the green light to build is going to happen.....

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 1 year, 11 months ago #42198

Here's a little ANF Jeopardy for you.

Is the Twin Lakes trail legal to mountain bike on or not???

www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/allegheny/recreation/bicycling/recarea/?recid=6113&actid=24

"Forest Supervisor Closure Orders prohibit the use of mountain bikes"
but
"Mountain Biking
Joint use with hikers"

We can only hope their site gets hacked into, maybe it will make some sense.
This is about the 6 or 7th time I have seen this, a few other times I asked them about it and they just updated the sites to outlaw biking, so don't ask and just ride.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by fat guy.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.