• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting

ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38075

There will be a public meeting concerning the Jakes Rocks Trails Project Tuesday the 3rd of May at the Warren Public Library. Members of the International Mountain Bicycling Association and Trail Solutions will be present to answer questions and discuss their progress.

It is vital that we have a strong public showing of support at this meeting. Please make time to attend. This is the time to show support for growth of cycling related tourism in our area.
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by fat guy.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38078

Meeting begins at 6:30. Come and support a great cause!

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38149

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by fat guy.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38150

We know it's a haul for many of you up near Buffalo to just to come down for the meeting... but if there is a chance, the more support the better, and for those who are closer Olean, Bradford, and Chautauqua County.. this project will end up being a major attraction in a few years. instead of a 3 to 4 hour drive to rayslake.. it will be perhaps a 2 hour drive many of you Buffalo folk.

If you can't make it down,, perhaps post a nice supporting and positive comment on the timesobserver web link that Fatguy provided above.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38153

When a few of us were riding in north Georgia a week ago, all the trails were on National Forest land. The forest service was actively supporting bike use and did a lot of the trail work, too (SORBA does a lot, too). There is no reason that the ANF could not sport an equally extensive network of trails. This would be a great start. Alas, can't make it to the meeting, but I hope a lot of the southern tier folks can make it.

Imagine how awesome this trail would be:

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Jon Sundquist.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38186

Although it would have been nice to have a few more folks from the local community at the meeting... and yes, I do realize that for the vast majority of folks who are regulars on this site, the ride would have been way too long.

it was fantastic to hear how IMBA's most senior trail building person would "fly to the moon" in order to ride the trails that they (we) plan on creating just 50 minutes south of Salamanca.

they have spent the last two and half weeks flagging the corridor and planning "gateway trail" green/easy, beginner and family friendly. and now have gotten into flagging the sweeter stuff, and also intend some gravity trails that will begin and end at parking, drop off points. They were most impressed by the stunning visuals of the res. as well as all the rock.

hopefully all the paper work and planning stuff is filed by the fall so the ANF can submit all of it's areas projects to all those hoops they have to jump through,, but they are talking that perhaps 6-18 months, but some individuals within the ANF stated they plan to fast track it.

For those who have been to RaysLake trails, they intend this project to be a bit different, more rock, narrower tread, more variety of trails, better scenery. and the infrastructure of parking lots, camp grounds, and facilities already exist.

They are shooting for 30 miles, I think Fatguy posted some links so you can get the idea of the landscape.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38189

THank you guys for getting the ball rolling on this. I'm super, super excited about the current state of mountain biking in the southern tier/Chautauqua County as our move home gets closer.

30 miles of trail makes the drive worth it.

Thank you!

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 4 months ago #38193

This is all such great news!!! Quick thanks to all the hard work by NAMBA and to the riders who helped out during last summer's 70 mile epic fund-raiser. Once all is completed, I am having visions of four-day road trips: #1. Holiday Valley; #2. Jake's Rocks; #3. Rothrock at State College; #4. Allegrippis at Raystown Lakes. The trails at Jake's Rocks will be such a watershed project for the future of local mountain biking.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 3 months ago #38264

some more updated info. sure, it may not happen as fast as I want it, but the fact that it is at least on it's way is something to keep hope alive.

Hello Jakes Rocks Trails Team,

Based on the GIS calculations there are currently 28 miles of flagged trail corridor.  This translates into an estimated  32 miles of built trail as the GIS calculations typically are 10-20% short compared to when the built trail is measured due to all the dips and meanders created during the build.  

A two person team will be returning from May 18th through May 26th to refine the design and flag additional mileage. 

After that work is completed a final map, GIS data,  and a short document describing the various trails and their intended experience will be provided to NAMBA and the USFS by the end of June.   Hopefully that will be useful during the NEPA process and in marketing the project to potential donors.  

Thanks to everybody for their hard work making the project the success it is to date.  The potential for a destination trail system is excellent.  

A very rough timeline:

May 2011 Trail corridor flagging and mapping completed.
June-July 2011 GIS data, maps, and documentation delivered to NAMBA/USFS
Fall 2011-2012 SAREP NEPA compliance process. (Hopefully concludes with a FONSI for the trails)
Winter/Spring 2012 Develop implementation plan (Level of additional planning will depend upon funding stream requirements and results of NEPA process.)
Summer 2013 -> Construction commences ( How long that takes depends upon available funding and other factors.)
Fall 2014 Grand opening/Festival style event

Thanks again for making this a reality,

Rich Edwards

Richard Edwards - IMBA Trail Solutions Manager

International Mountain Bicycling Association   

1005 South Dogwood Drive,

Harrisonburg, Va 22801 USA

ph: (m)540-421-6067   (w)303-545-9011

email: [ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , web: [ www.imba.com/ ]www.imba.com

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 3 months ago #38267

Thom:

You have publisher access, so be sure to submit this to the website. The forum is good for MTB banter, but this is exciting stuff and belongs on the website and not relegated to the forum. I went ahead and did it for you (classified as Advocacy/ANF, and also have it show up on the front page) for this one.

Can't wait until this gets built.

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 3 months ago #38278

FYI for the non-federally inclined
NEPA - Nat'l Environmental Policy Act www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/faqs/nepa/index.html
FONSI - Findings of no significant impact

Re: ANF Jakes Rocks Meeting 3 years, 3 months ago #38279

I'm very excited about this. Can't wait til it is completed it will be on the list of annual summer weekend trips.
  • wade
Team Short Hill Billys
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.