• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spencer Park Trail Conditions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spencer Park Trail Conditions

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42569

It's been a while since i've posted last. But since no one else comments on HHS Park, here ya go. An update! TRAILS ARE PRIMO RIGHT NOW!!! HIT THE TRAILS!!!

As you all know it's been an extremely dry summer! That's a great thing for HHS...

The suicide 6 ran a few weeks ago. Trails are Bone dry, clean and well burned in. Best of all, the attack of killer swarms of deer and horse flies are GONE! (rule of thumb first 2 weeks in august are BAD) This year it started early, last week in July thru beginning of August. Right now.. no real insects to cause any alarm.

We rode about 8 miles there Wed night had a great time in the slightly cooler weather.

here's our gps trail map.
www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1889640

Great time to get out there and get some rides in before the leaves start falling. I know some are starting to change down this way. !! DONT MISS OUT BEST HHS HAS BEEN IN YEARS!

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42577

update,

Ran Rattler trail, first time this season for me, and looks like no one else runs it either.
Covered in loose leaves, sticks and the climb back out has 3 trees down across it. It's a good, TOUGH loop, I'll post up if I get a chance to clear the trail.

www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1897897
Rattler is the lower finger in the South end of the trail.

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42591

9/4/12:

We just got hammer with about an inch of rain this afternoon.
I'm gonna give the park a day or 2 and then check it out. I'll keep ya posted.

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42601

9/6/12:

Got to Hollister this evening. Trails are still in great shape. There is, however, standing water on a few dips in the double tracks. Nothing to worry about.

The single track is getting covered in even more loose leaves following the rain. Despite this, the trails rode really well. Of course, there were some sections of trail that are a little loamy, and soft. This makes for more effort compared to the nice firm hardpack that we've become familiar with this summer.

Even these soft spots, (like most of the "new" pine trail that dumps out onto the overlook trail) were NOT to the point of leaving tire tracks... and I never even worried about caking a tire.. So RIDE ON!

This ride brings me back to past years where we would hope the conditions would get this nice. haha, a little HH of old.

I know I read in another thread, someone mentioned how this incredibly dry season fools you into thinking you're a better rider than you are. Mix soft ground, loose fresh leaves and technical rooty transitions... WELCOME TO WESTERN NY!

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42660

9/11/12 ride.

Trail conditions are perfect still. BUT, the leaves are covering some areas of trail heavily.
If you dont know the trail sometimes it feels like they disappear. All your eyes see is a sea of yellow/green, dodging the trees. This is only a few sections that get heavy coverage.

But traction is still not an issue.

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42691

9/15/12:

Morning trail ride, 8am, trails were in great shape following the rain we had last evening.

We made a full lap of the park and trails were in solid condition. Soil is moist in some areas but we left there with no mud spray on the bikes or ourselves. Some areas the trails are a little tough to follow due to leaves, and some areas are extra technical when blanketed by fresh leaves.

Been seeing more riders at the park than usual, that's great!

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42728

9/19/12:

Lots of rain here today... ALL day, will keep you posted in a day or 2....

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42781

9/24/12:

Was gonna say trails are great.... but......

ALERT! They ran a bull dozer down the middle of the park for XC SKI trails.

It runs down the middle of the park opposite the overlook trail. Splits the single track on the side hill into about half a dozen short sections that will need A LOT of trail work to correct!

Also the main trail near the upper parking lot which had a nice burned in single track is full fresh dirt with dozer tracks. no more flow...................................................

If it wasn't 6 days from hunting season I'd be EVEN more upset! It's gonna take a lot of hard work to correct the trails that have been crushed. It's all part of the S6 course too. I'll have to post on the GROC site too....

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 7 months ago #42789

You can't trust government employees with trail work!

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 6 months ago #42818

Kinda Stinks that this stuff happens.

www.meetup.com/GROC-Trail-Crew/messages/boards/thread/27231322

See what happens between now and spring.

I'll try to keep this thread updated now and again.

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 6 months, 3 weeks ago #44417

Well, better late than never, I guess. haha

Trails were restored at Hollister, and there is added single track trails.
They are burned in nicely and conditions are great.

I read a thread where someone was looking for technical and flowy trails. These are what you search for.

Re: Spencer Park Trail Conditions 6 months, 1 week ago #44434

this park is multi use and is open for hunting,

bow season currently, muzzle loader starts 10/19, shotgun end of month.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds

Vote For the HV Flow Trail!

Bell Built Voting Starts in... 10 Days

Voting Starts: 05.05.2014 00:00 See What's it About

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.