• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Allegany State Park Trail Conditions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44701

We had a very hard time finding the trail, actually rode right past the entrance on the upper part of ridge run.
We parked up top at the summit and then rode to the bottom of Bova and were picked up.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44702

The park has ordered signs and will put them up.

After the Raccoon Rally has used it, it should be easier to find.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44704

boogenman wrote:
We had a very hard time finding the trail, actually rode right past the entrance on the upper part of ridge run.
We parked up top at the summit and then rode to the bottom of Bova and were picked up.

That's a bummer. I can see how that would happen though. the upper entrance on Ridge is a little less obvious. I hit it from the lower entrance on Ridge and its right at the top of a slow steep climbing left hand turn, so it was easy to see.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44705

Anyone have a GPS location of the trail head so I can find it this weekend?
2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44706

If the park doesn't have the signs up yet, there should still be lots of surveyor tape ribbons at the start.

You can also find it this way: Ridge Run runs along the ridge (duh), except it doesn't after the junction with this trail. The beginning, and parts of the middle, of the new trail use the old ridge run which truly did run along the ridge the whole way to Thunder Rocks.

Now, when you are leaving the Leonard run area, there is actually one location where the existing ridge run scoots around the right side of a knoll, so don't look at that "first scoot around". You know the "scoot around" is over because there is a relatively fast downhill with a curve to the right. The next time the trail starts to leave the top of the ridge, that is the start of the new singletrack.

There is also a wet spot just after the start, so that is another signal that you may have just missed it.
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Jon Sundquist.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44707

I took the ASP PDF map that is on the "Map Central" and the google map from the article Jon linked to and carefully drew the new trail onto the more detailed PDF map. It worked out pretty good for me and there was some tape at the entrance.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 1 week ago #44723

I rode the new singletrack today with a beginner.

Very nice, we need more easier trails like this if we want to grow our sport.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by skidder.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.