• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Allegany State Park Trail Conditions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 years ago #35029

the trails make for some good ridin'.
parked the car where the road is closed and rode the bike up patterson to snowsnake. then sweetwater, christian hollow, leonard run, ridge and the ski hill. with golden leaves on the ground, you can see lines for a long way. had to shift to the granny gear to get up the first snowsnake climb but then double rung ev'rything else. by the time christian rolled around, the 32x11* had become the chosen gear for my modified singlespeed sunday (it may look like a drinking contest but it's actually a solemn religious ceremony). rode it all the way to the end.
for the record, patterson up to snowsnake, snowsnake and sweetwater are all clear. christian hollow, leonard, ridge and the downhill course all have some heavy blowdown making the trails unrideable in places.

*that's a 5.5 gain ratio.
Velociped Jones is the future of racing and he was a P to A spawnling.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 9 months ago #43477

BEST. DAY. OF. SKIING. EVER.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 9 months ago #43481

Jon Sundquist wrote:
BEST. DAY. OF. SKIING. EVER.

Best conditions I have ever seen. Soo much fun!
  • wade
Team Short Hill Billys

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 1 year, 9 months ago #43482

I camped there all weekend, tons of snow!
2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 5 months, 2 weeks ago #44658

After the last work day in ASP, I was wondering if the new trail is completed and ridable.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 5 months, 2 weeks ago #44659

It's done, it's leaf blown, it's awesome.

Only possible thing is that the park may have not gotten in there yet to chain saw the trees across the path (State Parks has more stringent chain saw training requirements than State Forests, so we couldn't have our trained sawyers do the work).

So there may be some lifting the bikes over logs.

Go ride it and report back. Let's get this ridden before the Rally.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 3 weeks ago #44692

I rode the new trail Sunday, it needs to be ridden a lot to smooth out.

No blow downs or any other obstructions.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 2 weeks ago #44695

I rode Friday and the new trail was nice. I agree with boogenman, needs to be ridden more to work it in. Excellent work and layout though. I was impressed on how dry the trail was and I think that has a lot to do with the layout. ASP trails are generally pretty greasy and it seems like its always kind of wet on the XC trails, but the new trail was really dry. Friday I rode SnowSnake to Ridge and picked up the new trail in a C-Clock direction. Has anybody figured out if there is a better direction to hit it from - clockwise or c-clock? Anyway, Snowsnake was greasy in spots, ridge was dry, the new trail was in great shape with no mud holes or wet spots. Someone has been through with the chainsaw, no blow downs or trees across the trail. I think the loop I did loop is about 12 miles - nice after work ride with easy access, if you are in the area.

Again great job on the new trail.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 2 weeks ago #44697

Where is the parking lot/trailhead start for this? I'll be down there this weekend and would like to check it out.
2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 2 weeks ago #44698

http://<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d1479.568734892433!2d-78.70478020000002!3d42.125940199999995!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x89d2864b76d1630f%3A0x7ab57d17f2cae3b4!2sPark+Rd!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1401734446263" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

At the top of Park Rd is the XC Ski center. You can park there and trails are across rode with signage and maps all over; except for new single track. That is off Ridge Trail. It was easy to find though

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 2 weeks ago #44699

sorry here is the link to the map point for parking.

Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions 4 months, 2 weeks ago #44700

Google Map of the new trail, and existing trails, is in this website article.

I think the trail came out pretty well. That google map also has the approved route of the 8 miles of more singletrack yet to be built. That will be a heavy lift, but we will get it done. The goals is to make this area as much of a singletrack mecca as Golden Hill at a minimum, and approaching the Rock City/McCarty Hill network.

And combine this with the 8 more miles we have approved near Quaker, and the existing Willow Creek and Morrison Trails in the adjacent National Forest, and the planned Jake's Rocks network, this area will be a total singeltrack destination, from Ellicottville to Warren.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jon Sundquist.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.