• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Letchworth Trail Conditions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Letchworth Trail Conditions

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 4 years ago #35485

Rode Letchworth FLT today. Trail was in great shape. Started at south end of park (portageville) Rode north toward the dam for 14 miles and took a cut out and rode the road back to car.

Lots of fun stuff. Steep drops, steep ups, some fun flowy trails. Some walking required on this trail. Some of the ravine entries and exits are steep or rocky.

You are to far from the gorge to see it so this ride is more in the woods. But there are still lots of deep ravines to peer into and ride across.

The trail did seem to be tricky to find in a few spots but that mostly related to leaves. Just be sure to follow yellow blazes on trees.

Would recommend but its not a fast paced ride. It was really dry today.

Took some nice photos of weird looking trees and small waterfalls.
No Goal, Wide Right, I'll just go ride my bike

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 3 years, 12 months ago #35490

Bo if you start at the Dam the trail IS right on the gorge. The stuff near Portageville is a little more technical maybe? the stuff starting by the Dam is pretty damn fast - many many challenging drop-ins and climb outs. Excellent place for single speeds. VERY highly recomended when conditions are right.

Letchworth trail conditions 3 years, 6 months ago #38088

Dry and dusty! Get out and ride!

Just kidding, MUDDY.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Jon Sundquist.

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 3 years, 3 months ago #38875

Rode Letchworth on saturday. Started at the dam and went up stream about 9 miles on the FLT then came back down. It was really hot but a good ride. The trail is very hard and dry as you would expect with the weather we've been having but is also really bumpy/rutted in a lot of places from heavy traffic while it was still wet this spring. It's going to take some serious traffic or some good rain with absolutely no traffic following it to smooth things out. Still a very fun ride but the hard clay is not nearly as smooth and flowy as it sometimes is.
  • woodi

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 2 years, 5 months ago #41249

Rode Letchworth on Saturday from the Mt Morris Dam during my sister-in-laws graduation from Geneseo, they didn't have enough tickets for me to come too...what a shame. Unfortunately though the place is a bit of a mess. To start off the bridge over the river on rt 39 was closed so if you normally take 39 south into Mt Morris you need to go to geneseo and take 63 into town instead. The trail itself has a lot of large blowdown that needs to be cleaned up with a chainsaw mixed with quite a few persistent muddy areas. The blowdowns and mud really hurt the flow of a normally really fun, flowy, and fast trail.
  • woodi

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 2 years, 2 months ago #42206

Rode Letchworth yesterday from Mt. Morris Dam all the way to Portageville. There were just a couple of trees down and its the driest I have ever seen it. There are typically a few muddy spots in the first 5ish miles that were all dried up and overall virtually zero mud. Of course there are a lot of ravine crossings that are very difficult or impossible to ride but the trail is in great shape otherwise.

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 2 years, 1 month ago #42638

Garick wrote:
Rode Letchworth yesterday from Mt. Morris Dam all the way to Portageville. There were just a couple of trees down and its the driest I have ever seen it. There are typically a few muddy spots in the first 5ish miles that were all dried up and overall virtually zero mud. Of course there are a lot of ravine crossings that are very difficult or impossible to ride but the trail is in great shape otherwise.

Bennymack and I did 28 miles at Letchworth today from the Hogsback overlook south to our food/water drop point and then back. I would say Garick's trail conditions report still holds true. There were a couple wet spots early on but most of the ravines are dry and the trail was in great shape. The leaves are starting to fall.

I learned my lesson the last time I was there and today I pushed my bike up most of the steep ravines. Last time, I destroyed my legs trying to ride ravines and had to bail out to the road to finish the ride. My legs were still in rough shape today but I was able to ride the trail the whole way. Picture perfect day to be riding in the woods.
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions 3 weeks, 6 days ago #44809

Been riding out at Letchworth during most of September. Trails are in really good shape. Someone used a leaf blower last fall on the Mt. Morris side of the FLT, and it really made a difference in terms of drying things out. Of course, there are a few muck spots here and there, along with the inevitable hike-a-bike up and down the ravines, but overall, Letchworth is shred-worthy.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.