• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ellicottville Conditions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 12 months ago #42780

I'm an hour away but I'll go out on a limb and guess that moisture levels are manageable if not downright low, but leaf levels are probably at a yellow alert.
Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 12 months ago #42784

Yeah, I'd say go for it. If this were May I'd say stay away with this rain. But we've had such a moisture deficit, the water soaks right in, and what doesn't the leaf cover takes care of.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 12 months ago #42792

I had a nice four hour ride today from Eagle Hill. The ground is damp and there are some splashy puddles here and there but the trails are in nice shape. If you like your trails tacky and just soft enough so the knobbies cut in, you'll have a good time. Leaf cover is minimal though some had more than others, Rocky's Run is tricky to follow already in a few spots.

I rode Mesa in both directions for the first time. It's a very nice addition to the trail system. I found it slightly more fun riding from Eagle on my way back to the car.

I really enjoy fall riding.
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 11 months ago #43037

Anybody been out since this last post? How are the current conditions in EVL? Some rain forcast for Friday, but the weekend looks warm and dry. Are conditions predominately dry right now? Or is this rain on Friday going to make a soggy mess worse?

As always, any info would be appreciated.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 11 months ago #43038

My brother and I rode there today for 4+ hours. His trail assessment on the drive home was right on. Except for the downed leaves, the trails are very good. Still not a lot of water in the small streams and only a few muddy spots. More rain isn't going to help obviously but I think it will stay good for a while. Maybe somebody could blow leaves off the trail???

I had some bike drama early on but things held together for the duration of the ride. I only went over the bars once on Bent Rim. I love that trail and hate it at the same time.
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 11 months ago #43045

The trails are salad, ahem, solid. But really, the trails are great right now and can only get better every day it doesn't rain. The leaves started off wet but were dry and crunchy by early afternoon especially on the sun facing hill sides. If anyone were to rake or leaf blow, then definitely give them a few hours to dry out and make it easier on yourself.
Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 3 months ago #44032

Eagle, side winder, big merlin and HV trails are in good shape. Some wet spots to be expected, no major problem areas.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 3 months ago #44047

Rode Eagle, Sidewinder, Dead Dog, and Merlin. The heavy rain we received on Tuesday/Wednesday caused a pretty severe washout on one of the switchbacks on Eagle. I don't know how it will turn out once the ground firms up, but it might be an area that needs some TLC. I tried to deberm some of the wetspots on Merlin.

Overall, the trails are in pretty good shape.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by bodie6.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 2 months ago #44155

I rode Eagle, Mesa, Sidewinder, Dead Dog, Big Merlin, and Rain Trail last night.

Conditions are superb. Just a slight sprinkle when I got back to the parking area, but that was all the rain I saw.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by kb voodoo.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year, 1 month ago #44260

It must have rained way more than I thought Wednesday night and Thursday morning, because there were a lot of puddles last night.

The majority of the trail surface was excellent though.
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 1 year ago #44326

The trails around Eagle, Big Merlin, Rain trail etc. were in good shape. Some standing water for sure, but the roots and rocks were dry.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 5 months, 2 weeks ago #44590

4/6/14
Rode Dead Dog Loop yesterday, It and half of what was once marked big merlin is now clear.
Much less blow down that I thought.
Goal is to clear all the trails off McCarty road by end of next weekend. Dead Dog, Sidewinder, Big Merlin and Rain Trail
See you out there!
B
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.