Yes, the moment you have all been waiting for - new trail construction at ASP!
We are starting construction this April 20 and 21 (special two for one deal).
We are going to start work on the Ridge Run singletrack extenion
Unlike E-ville, trail building in ASP is more remote, and getting there takes longer from Buffalo (but shorter from Bradford, Olean, and Warren, hint..hint). So we are going to do something different.
- First, we are meeting earlier - 9 AM! Yes, you have to get up early.
- Second, we are driving out to the work area along the XC trails (special permission). If you arrive late, you can bike out to meet us working.
- Third, we are working all day. Because it takes a while to get to where we are working, we will put in some long hours. We will provide lunch *on the trail*!! Don't worry, you don't have to stay the whole time if you don't want to. But if you do leave early, you will miss...
- Fourth, we are staying overnight in the Summit Cabins! We have arranged to have two cabins provided by the park in return for our work. This way we can stay over, have some fun, and get an early start Sunday morning on Day 2.
This post is a little behind schedule but I am getting it up finally because the plan is soon to come to fruition.
ASP has one of the longest history of supporting mountain biking, and was the place where many of the early WNY MTB pioneers got there first rides in. The Raccoon Rally has been running at ASP for an incredible 22 years now!
The one drawback has always been the lack of single track, since the hiking trails are off limits to bicycles. The master planning process starting in 2010 was the perfect opportunity to get permission to develop new singletrack trails.
WNYMBA submitted a large, comprehensive proposal for new trails. You can download it here, but beware - with lots of figures is is 35 MB! WNYMBA provided detailed analysis of the proposed routes.
State parks came back with some comments, requiring us to modify one trail, but we took the opportunity to add another trail. We submitted a revised proposal for two of the trails, and got all three approved!
The three trails are:
In its second year, the Winter Fest Mountain Bike Race at Chestnut Ridge Park is sure to be hit once again. The fact that most of the course is visible from the top near the casino will make this a great event to watch. The race will be on a short-track course a little over a mile in length, with the first part going down the sledding hill. COURSE MAP
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
More Articles ...
- The Art of Passing and Being Passed
- 2013 WNYMBA Racing
- Top 10 Things About Working With Rock To Reinforce MTB Trails
- WNYMBA-IMBA Membership Integration